In September 2015, a new Energy related Product (ErP) directive for the European Union (EU) will take effect. The ErP directive is mandatory for all countries in the EU for space and water heaters. To find out more about ErP, please visit our Explaining ErP page.
The Energy Labelling directive is part of ErP. It requires space and water heaters to be labelled with an efficiency band, ranging from A+++ to G. An energy label for the installed system is also required, depending on the components used (for example, where a boiler and room controls are fitted).
The Energy labelling should be a simple concept for consumers because this system is already established for white goods, such as refrigerators, dishwashers and more recently, tyres.
How will the Energy Labelling work?
The Energy ratings must be shown in literature and be made available in online advertising.
Product and package labels with relevant technical data 'fiches' will be supplied with products and the labels must be shown at the point of sale e.g. a showroom.
There are different versions of the labels depending on the type of product or package. However, once completed, the labels will typically show at least some of the following types of information;
- The name or logo of the manufacturer or supplier
- The manufacturer's or supplier's product name or code
- What type of heating the Energy Label is for and whether it's rated as a product or a package
- The heating or hot water efficiency band (A+++ to G)
- The heating output or the hot water capacity and heat loss
Who is responsible for ErP?
• To provide the energy label for products
• To calculate the system's efficiency
• To provide the energy label for the system
• To complete a document called a 'fiche' to provide the efficiency figure for the heating system
N.B. Santon will support installers with the tools and documents required to complete a fiche.
The ErP Directive will ultimately make it easier for installers and end users to choose the most efficient products, helping to reduce the carbon emissions and energy costs.
How to find out more about ErP
At Santon, our team is here to help you. If you have any questions or would like to know more about the Ecodesign or Energy Labelling Directives, what it means for you and what you may need to do, whether you're a consumer, installer, merchant or specifier, please click here to contact our expert team.